You are hereIn this section
Elementary Pathways | Light a Spark
We light a spark for learning in each child and instill a sense of excitement and creativity as their learning journey progresses.
Learning opportunities for elementary students will be aligned with Pathways learning at the middle and high school, allowing students to explore a variety of themes and topics and to discover what is possible. Every elementary school will embed rich experiences and targeted exposure to all four Pathways, including:
- Arts, Communications and Literacy
- Design, Engineering and STEM
- Health, Wellness and Social-Emotional Learning, and
Implementing Elementary Pathways
The implementation of elementary Pathways launches in the 2020-21 school year and will be rolled out over the next three years. Some of the reimagined ideas proposed to be implemented are outlined below. Elementary design teams and stakeholder feedback will inform the phased implementation along the way.
Year One: 2020-21 Implementation
- Advanced Learning Specialists working with gifted and talented students
- Band and orchestra experiences for all students
- Digital Learning Specialists facilitating design and coding units for all students
- Enhanced Makerspaces for additional engineering Pathway experiences
- New K-5 math curriculum piloted in select classrooms across the district
Year Two: 2021-22 Implementation
- Theater and performing arts residences at each school
- Health and well-being career exploration activities introduced at each school
- Project-based learning training and planning sessions for elementary teachers
- New K-5 math curriculum implemented across the district
Year Three: 2022-23 Implementation
- Implement entrepreneurship, math and design project-based learning at each school
- K-5 math curriculum implementation informs K-5 science curriculum review, including Next Generation Science Standards
- AVID Elementary program explored for students in grades 3-5
Elementary Pathways Learning IS
Pathways learning is designed to excite students and give them a glimpse into their future. It allows them to wonder and reflect on what’s next in their learning journey.
Elementary Pathways Learning IS NOT
Elementary Pathways learning is not tracking students and asking them to choose a career path. Rather, Pathways aims to introduce elementary students to different experiences to help them discover new content and spark their hopes and dreams.