District 191 presented an initial list of proposed budget adjustments at the Feb. 7 Board of Education meeting. The adjustments are necessary to address a more-than-$7 million shortfall projected for the district’s 2019-20 budget due to lagging state aid, underfunding for special services, and declining enrollment.
A public forum, where community members can provide feedback to the Board of Education regarding proposed budget adjustments, will take place Feb. 13 at 7 p.m. at Diamondhead Education Center.
Process for participating at the Public Forum
- You must be signed up to speak. You can sign-up between 4:30 and 7:30 p.m. the day of the public forum. When you sign up, you will be given a number.
- Speakers will be called in numerical order.
- The Board Chair will call the number of the person whose turn it is to speak, and will also call the number of the person who will speak after that.
- The current speaker will be seated at the table. The speaker who is next must come to the designated waiting area.
- If you are not in the waiting area when it is your turn to speak, you will lose your turn. Please pay attention to the numbers being called so you are ready when it’s your turn.
- Speakers must stay on the topic of the budget.
- Speakers will have up to 2 minutes. If you are using an interpreter, you will have up to 4 minutes.
- Speakers will receive a 30 second warning before their time is up.
- When your time is up, you will be asked to stop so the next speaker can have their turn.
- Personal attacks and sharing of private information about a student or staff member are not allowed.