The team from Harriet Bishop Elementary again took the elementary championship title in the annual Burnsville-Eagan-Savage School District 191 chess tournament on Dec. 10 at Metcalf Middle School. Jessica Perry and Don Picard coach the team.
The William Byrne Elementary chess team, coached by Stan Kegel and Jason Kellen, placed second while Sioux Trail Elementary, coached by Kiya Presswood, placed third.
The Metcalf Middle School team, coached by Brian Ribnick, won the secondary championship title.
The district elementary chess champion for 2016 is Mitchell Kellen, a 4th grader from William Byrne Elementary, and the secondary champion is Calvin York of Metcalf Middle School.
The top 10 elementary players
1. Mitchell Kellen, 4th grade, William Byrne
2. Ben Woelfel, 5th grade, Sioux Trail
3. Ethan Phua, 5th grade, Harriet Bishop
4. Braiden Moher, 5th grade, Harriet Bishop
5. Alexander Wang, 5th grade, Harriet Bishop
6. Noah Steinhouse, 5th grade, Harriet Bishop
7. Presley Martchev, 2nd grade, Harriet Bishop
8. Cristian Cerda, 5th grade, Harriet Bishop
9. John Graham, 4th grade, Harriet Bishop
10. Josh Westerlund, 5th grade, Sioux Trail
Grade 1 - Archer Bodenner, Harriet Bishop
Grade 2 - Jack Bellin, Edward Neill
Grade 3 - Harrison Stage, William Byrne
Grade 4 - Scott Froebe, Harriet Bishop
Grade 5 - Carter Hjelmberg, home school
Grade 6 - Will Moe, Metcalf Middle School
Grade 7 - Parker Pederson, Metcalf Middle School
Grade 8 - Adam Stadick, Metcalf Middle School
The top three secondary trophies went to
1. Calvin York, Metcalf Middle School
2. Nik Slemp, Burnsville High School
3. Gavin Kellen, Metcalf Middle School
District 191 is known for its extensive chess program. Through the district's community education program, every fourth grade student participates in a two-week residency with a chess master and most schools in the district have chess teams