The best spellers in Burnsville-Eagan-Savage School District 191 will participate in the 33rd annual district spelling championship bee at 7 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 5, in the Mraz Center for the Performing Arts at Burnsville High School, 600 E. Highway 13.
Students in grades five through eight competed in their school spelling bees this fall to determine who would move on to the district bee.
The 28 participants in the district bee will be the building co-champions from 12 schools in District 191 — two from each elementary school and three from two of the middle schools — along with two students representing the parochial school in Savage. The event is open to the public.
Spellers will be:
- Eagle Ridge Middle School: Suad Hassan, Yana Khetia, Jessie Vogler
- Metcalf Middle School: Tyler Haddorff, Zoe Olson, Ellie Scheldberg
- Edward Neill Elementary: Brian Moruri, Thomas Madrid
- Gideon Pond Elementary: Tyrone Billingsley, Jordan Mikkelsen
- Harriet Bishop Elementary: Jack Morgan, Gavin Shaner
- Hidden Valley Elementary: Preston Lester, Kaitlyn Olson
- M.W. Savage Elementary: Amanda Currie, Svetlana Popov
- Rahn Elementary: Jordi Fortunat, Leo Silguero
- Sioux Trail Elementary: William Beyer, Jarissett Reyes Volkov
- Sky Oaks Elementary: Hadley Alt, Aadome Kassa
- Vista View Elementary: Emma Le, Judith Umez
- William Byrne Elementary: Hannaan Karshe, Julia Osmolski
- St. John’s School: Mary Jo Meyer, Joey Vollmers
Beth Van Osdel, a coordinator in the district's Systems Improvement & Student Achievement department, is coordinating the district's spelling bee activities.