Skip To Main Content

Application for Educational Benefits


The state’s Free School Meals program begins the 2023-24 school year. Families will still need to apply to qualify for more educational benefits. 

Starting this fall, every K-12 student may receive one breakfast and one lunch at no cost during the school year. Minnesota’s Free School Meals program and federal funding will cover the cost of breakfast and lunch for in-person students in kindergarten through grade 12, as well as for pre-kindergarten students who attend elementary schools.

Even though meals are free for most students, District 191 asks all families to complete the Alternate Application for Educational Benefits. By filling out the Alternate Application for Educational Benefits, families may qualify for additional benefits such as reduced or waived athletic and activities fees, reduced transportation fees, discounts on internet service, emergency food benefits, and more. 

Filling out the Alternate Application for Educational Benefits also helps support District 191 schools, as some of the funding schools receive is determined by the number of families that qualify for benefits. So by completing the form, families are helping ensure District 191 schools receive everything we need to support students, including additional funding for teachers, interventionists and other student supports. That’s why our goal is to have 100 percent of families complete this application. Any information submitted will remain confidential. 

If you have other questions or need assistance, call 952-707-2051 or email

Alternate Application for Educational Benefits

Paper Form - Alternate Application for Educational Benefits

Frequently Asked Questions

How is this Information used?

It will be used to determine if your household is eligible for free or reduced-price economic status for educational funds and discounts. We may share your eligibility information with education, health, and nutrition programs to help them evaluate, fund, or determine benefits for their programs.

Who should I include as household members?

Include yourself and all other people living in the household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends).

May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?

Yes. You or your children do not have to be U.S. citizens for your children to qualify.

What if my income is not always the same?

List the amount that you normally get. If you normally get overtime, include it, but not if you get overtime only sometimes. For seasonal work, write in the total annual income.

Will the income information or case number I give be checked?

It may be. We may also ask you to send written proof during a process we call Verification.

If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later?

Yes. Please complete an application at any time if your income goes down, your household size goes up, or you start receiving  SNAP, MFIP or FDPIR benefits.