Skip To Main Content


Homeschooling Requirements

According to Minnesota’s Compulsory Instruction Law, instruction must be provided in at least the following subjects:

  • Basic communication skills, including reading and writing, literature and fine arts;
  • Mathematics and science;
  • Social studies including history, geography, economics, government, and citizenship; and
  • Health and physical education

A national norm-referenced standardized achievement examination is required annually if your child/children are in a non-accredited homeschool and are between the ages of 7-17. The tests can be ordered through the University of Minnesota Testing Center at 612-626-1803. If the results of the assessments indicate that the child's performance on the total battery score is at or below the 30th percentile or one grade level below the performance level for children of the same age, the parent must obtain additional evaluation of the child's abilities and performance for the purpose of determining whether additional support for learning would be beneficial.

Non-public school students are not required to take state assessments. District 191 will, for a fee, test non-public students if they reside within the district attendance area. Requests for an assessment must be made by March 1. All assessments will be administered at a District 191 school. These assessments do not replace the annual standardized achievement examinations required of homeschool students. 

Required Forms




Special Education Services

Child Find

District 191 is committed to locating any child residing within the school district boundaries that has a disability and may be in need of special education services. If you are concerned about your child’s educational achievement, language, articulation or social/emotional development and you suspect that your child may have a disability, please contact Amy Piotrowski, Director of Student Services, at 952-707-6261 or She will discuss your specific concerns and determine if an evaluation for special education is appropriate. 

Special Education Services

A homeschool child with a current Individual Education Program (IEP) plan can receive special education services through shared-time enrollment in District 191.

Special Education Comprehensive Evaluation

A homeschool child with an IEP is eligible to receive a comprehensive special education evaluation every three years conducted by the Burnsville-Eagan-Savage School District at no cost to the parents/guardian.

Frequently Asked Questions