BHS students qualify for state, international science fairs
Thirteen Burnsville High School students are headed to the state science fair after presenting their research papers and projects at the Twin Cities Regional Science Fair (TCRSF) in early March. Sophomore Sara Zamudio qualified for an all-expense-paid trip to the International Science and Engineering Fair in Dallas, as well as earning more awards than anyone else at the fair.
In addition, BHS students earned three of only 24 spots available to Minnesota students in the North Central Region Junior Science and Humanities Symposium (JSHS), which includes Minnesota, North Dakota and South Dakota.
2023 Twin Cities Regional Science Fair Results
Sixty-seven BHS students participated in the paper competition of the TCRSF, with 11 qualifying for the state competition. State qualifiers are Ajmal Abdirahman, Lauren Bachmeier, Saron Bogale, Lillie Hanto, Emma Klug, Owen Krick, Isabella LaGorio, Evelin Martinez, Jane McGuire, Kaitlynn Patterson and Nuria Warfa.
Ajmal Abdirahman, Lauren Bachmeier and Nuria Warfa were selected to present at JSHS North Central Region.
Eleven BHS students participated in the backboard competition, with two advancing to the state competition, two chosen as alternates for the state competition, and one qualifying for the International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF) in Dallas in May. The following students won awards at the TCRSF project competition.
- Ajmal Abdirahman - Advanced to State Competition
- Sam Bergh- American Psychological Association Award
- Camila Cabrera Zhagnay - Stockholm Water Prize, State Alternate
- Juan Esteban Castillo Villar - Stockholm Water Prize, State Alternate
- Alec Erickson - American Psychological Association Award
- Jordan Flores Lara - Stockholm Water Prize, State Alternate
- Lillie Hanto - Air Force Award
- Ella O’Hanon - US Metric Association Award, Stockholm Junior Water Prize, State Alternate
- Maddie Olsen - National Oceanic and Atmospheric - Taking the Pulse of the Planet Award
- Sarah Zamudio - Air Force Award, Mintahoe Catering Award, 3M Personal Safety Award (includes $100 prize), Advanced to State Competition, Association of Women Geoscientists Award, Advanced to Genius Olympiad, National Geographic Society Award, Ricoh Sustainable Award, United States Agency for International Development Award, Advanced to State Competition, Advanced to International Science and Engineering Finalist/Presenter (all expenses paid)
The Wayfinder Blog
Navigate the One91 experience with confidence with Wayfinder, a blog with stories and resources for the One91 community.