The Burnsville Alternative High School is an educational option designed to help students who have dropped out of their previous school setting and who are in the 10th grade and older.
- Classes are community-based in a small caring environment, which offers small class sizes and individual support to meet the needs of the older discouraged learner.
- A Burnsville High School diploma is available for all students.
- The BES Alternative High School helps students develop both the academic skills and personal attributes necessary for success inside and outside of school.
- The focus of the student's learning experience centers on participation, completion of course work, and attendance.
- The program attempts to give students choices and alternatives to keep them involved and motivated.
- Self-responsibility is stressed through the application of logical and/or natural consequences.
It is important to recognize that because the Alternative High School is an optional program, students need to have a desire and interest in academic learning in order to succeed. Students do not have to be residents of ISD 191 to attend.