There’s lots to love about Burnsville, according to third-grade students, especially the playgrounds, schools, library and people.
A total of 175 students in Burnsville-Eagan-Savage School District 191 shared their love for their home town in an essay contest.
As part of “I Love Burnsville” week in June each year, the City of Burnsville invites third-grade students to complete the statement “I Love Burnsville because…..”
“Burnsville is a great city,” wrote Hubert Nguyen, a student at William Byrne Elementary. “I’m very happy I live here. There is no place better than Burnsville.”
The Burnsville City Council, along with Marty Kelly from contest sponsor Firefly Credit Union, reviewed entries and selected the winners. The three winning students read their essays out loud at the Burnsville City Council meeting on June 6. View their essays at www.burnsville.org/essay.
The 2017 winners of the 10th Annual 3rd Grade essay contest sponsored by Firefly Credit Union are:
- Efrata Eschete, Sioux Trail Elementary (Teacher: Christine Peterson)
- Samira Mohamed, William Byrne Elementary (Teacher: Kirenza Cooper)
- Aisha Hassan, Sioux Trail Elementary (Teacher: Sonia Boche)
- Greta Dickhausen, Gideon Pond Elementary (Teacher: Andrea Traetow)
- Hubert Nguyen, William Byrne Elementary (Teacher: Crystal Tomala)
Essay winners were awarded $50 from Firefly Credit Union and their school received an additional $50 donation to be used in the child’s name for a useful purpose. Honorable mentions each received $25.