Seven high-achieving juniors received Junior Book Awards from prestigious colleges during a ceremony at Burnsville High School on May 25.
Colleges present the awards each year across the country to 11th grade students in recognition of their outstanding academic accomplishments, dedication to learning, leadership, school involvement and community service. Each award recipient receives a book that is connected to the college in some way, often written by a professor or alumnus.
Burnsville High School students who received Junior Book Awards this year are:
- Alexander Gude - Columbia University
- Gregory Johnson - University of Minnesota, Norman Borlaug Science Achievement Award
- Albert Liu - Yale University
- Katie Lyon - Smith College
- Elizabeth McCormick - Dartmouth College
- Bailey Pekar - Wellesley College
- Victor Sanchez Villegas - Harvard University
"The award is a testament to everything you have done inside and outside of the classroom during your entire academic career," said Principal Dave Helke. "You have worked hard, strived to do your best and have found success in many ways. Congratulations on this recognition."
Junior Book Awards are a nationally-known distinction, according to school counselor Becky Akerson, who advises students to include it on their college applications.