Taking Care of the Device
Students are responsible for the general care of the device they have been issued by the school. Devices that are broken or fail to work properly must be taken to the tech support desk at the student’s school for an evaluation of the equipment. Please see Chromebook Care and Security for more information.
The device is school property and all users must follow the Acceptable Use Policy.
- Cords and cables must be inserted carefully into the device to prevent damage
- Devices must remain free of any writing, drawing, stickers, labels, or any other physical alterations. Stickers may be placed under or on cases
- Devices must never be left in an unlocked locker, unlocked car, or any unsupervised area. Devices should also not be left visible in a locked or unattended car
- Devices must never be left in a location susceptible to extreme cold or hot weather
- Moisture is damaging to devices; keep it out of water and humid locations
The device comes with a school issued always-on case. The purpose of the case is to protect the device, especially while the device is being transported. The case must remain on the device. School-appropriate stickers and decorations may be placed under the case or on the case itself. Students keep the case for the entire time they have the device so placing stickers under the case rather than sticking them to the case allows for students to change their decorations as they get older.
Storing the device
When students are not using their device, it should be stored in their locked lockers or in a supervised backpack. Nothing should be placed on top of the device. Students will take their devices home every day after school unless alternative arrangements have been made. Never expose an device to long-term temperature extremes or direct sunlight. An automobile is not a good place to store a device.
The device screens can be damaged if subjected to rough treatment. The screens are particularly sensitive to damage from pressure on the screen:
- Do not stack items on top of the device or lean on top of the device
- Do not place device in a backpack so other items put pressure on the screen
- Clean the screen with a soft, dry cloth or anti-static cloth, no cleansers of any type (i.e. no Clorox wipes)
- Clean the keyboard with a damp rag and/or compressed air designed for electronics
Devices Left in Unsupervised Areas
Under no circumstances should devices be left in unsupervised areas. Unsupervised areas include the school grounds and campus, the lunchroom, computer lab, locker rooms, media center, unlocked classrooms, gymnasiums, auditorium, and hallways. Any device left in these areas is in danger of being stolen. If a device is found in an unsupervised area, it will be taken to the main office.