After receiving community input at a public forum and through an online portal, the Burnsville-Eagan-Savage School District 191 Board of Education made several changes to the list of potential budget adjustments for the 2019-20 school year.
The following changes were made to the initial list of adjustments:
- Remove 9th grade athletics from the list of cuts
- Remove middle school orchestra from the list of cuts
- Remove 1 FTE in custodial/maintenance service from the list of cuts
- Adjust the BHS Media EA cut to keep 0.5 FTE
- Continue offering French 1 and French 2 at Burnsville High School
Board members also directed staff to include a busing change that will have high school students walk to their closest middle schools (if they are within walking distance) and be transported to the high school by bus from there. The change is expected to save about $230,000.
Board members expressed strong opposition to increasing walking distances.
District 191 is facing a $7 million shortfall for 2019-20 primarily due to state funding that hasn’t kept up with inflation and underfunding of special education services by both the state and federal government.
A final list of proposed adjustments is scheduled to be presented at the March 14 board meeting. The board will officially adopt the 2019-20 budget in June. For more information, go to www.isd191.org/budget.