The Foundation 191 Board of Directors recently announced grant awards for the 2017-18 school year in Burnsville-Eagan-Savage School District 191.
Stephen Fiebiger, president of the not-for-profit foundation, announced that 20 grants, totaling over $9,800, were awarded to recipients representing preschool, elementary school, middle school, high school, special education and community education. Since its inception in 2005, Foundation 191 has provided more than $100,000 in grants and in-kind contributions to supplement and enhance students’ experiences. See list of recipients below.
Foundation 191 also sponsors Senior Awards Night at Burnsville High School where graduating seniors receive college scholarships through the Community Scholarship Program. More than $89,500 was awarded at this year’s ceremony.
The group raises funds through donations, sponsoring the Dan Patch Days Fun Run, an annual golf tournament and a Grapes and Grains event at Ames Center. Information about the organization and these events can be found at www.Foundation191.org.
These grants were approved for the 2017-18 school year:
- Eagle Ridge Middle School Service Club – Engage students and community, $150.
- Harriet Bishop Elementary School Service – Focus on service day and Ronald McDonald House project, $150.
- Classcraft – “Gamifying the Classroom” – Online role playing game utilizing Chromebooks at Eagle Ridge Middle School, $100.
- Coding/Programming Unplugged Activities - fundamentals of computer programming at Sioux Trail Elementary School, $204.89
- Poly Hockey program equipment – special needs classes & Community Education, $500.
- Engineering Awesomeness Events – host three student engineering events to get kids excited about STEM and robotics - Burnsville High School Robotics, $750.
- First Graders Today, Leaders Tomorrow – Students track world events – Sioux Trail Elementary School, $340.
- Math Mites Fourth Grade Competition for all 10 elementary schools – Sioux Trail Elementary School, $940.
- Billy Band Love to Read Books Packs – To motivate reluctant and emerging second graders, Hidden Valley Elementary School, $239.98
- Sky Fliers – Promote student leadership for facilitating activities – Sky Oaks Elementary School, $1,013.20
- Lights, Camera, Action – camera equipment to produce newscasts at Nicollet Middle School, $375.
- Buddy Bench – To promote inclusion at recess so no one is left out, Sioux Trail Elementary School, $1,250.
- Giving Garden Shed – Concrete base for equipment storage shed, Burnsville High School, $500.
- Bowls for Brainpower – Sponsor Brainpower in a BackPack and ceramic bowls for food sent home in back packs, Burnsville High School, $850.
- 191 Discover Swim – Swimming lessons for students with greatest need following American Red Cross standards, Hidden Valley at Eagle Ridge - Community Education, $500.
- Puppet Pals – Early childhood education learning with help of classroom puppet ECFE, Tiny Tots, Ready to Grown & Learn, $500.
- Math Games for Fun Home Learning – Games for kindergartners and families to enhance learning at school and at home, William Byrne Elementary School, $250.
- Latino Parent and Student Engagement – Enrich opportunities and events for Latino students and families, BHS, Nicollet, Metcalf and Eagle Ridge Middle Schools, $400.
- Whaletale Publishing Center – Students in K-5 write and publish books, Marion W. Savage Elementary School, $500.
- School Garden & Landscaping – Students update and maintain garden and landscaping at school and grow vegetables, Metcalf Middle School, $250.