Six third-graders in Burnsville-Eagan-Savage School District 191 are winners of the 2016 “I Love Burnsville” essay contest sponsored by the City of Burnsville.
More than 175 students entered the contest. Because there were so many good entries this year, Mayor Elizabeth Kautz said an Honorable Mention category was added.
Winners read their essays out loud at the Burnsville City Council meeting on June 7. [View the essays]
They wrote about city parks, Burnsville Mall, great schools, police and firefighters, Buck Hill and all the nice people who live in Burnsville.
Essay winners were awarded $50 from Firefly Credit Union, and their teacher received an additional $50 donation to be used in the child’s name to support classroom activities. Honorable mentions received $25.
The Burnsville City Council, along with Marty Kelly from contest sponsor Firefly Credit Union, named three winners, and three honorable mentions.
Winners in alphabetical order:
- Hannah Isenberger, Sioux Trail Elementary (teacher: Sonia Boche)
- Isabella Marks, Vista View Elementary (teacher: Jennifer Houtman)
- Jordana McNeal, Harriet Bishop Elementary (teacher: Erin Huber)
Honor Mentions in alphabetical order::
- Emma Englund, Sioux Trail Elementary (teacher: Sonia Boche)
- Kareen Lashay Griffin, Sky Oaks Elementary (teacher: Megan Bien)
- Mya Halliday, Gideon Pond Elementary (teacher: Andrea Traetow
The essay contest was part of “I Love Burnsville Week,” which took place in early June.