The team from Harriet Bishop Elementary again took the elementary championship title in the annual Burnsville- Eagan-Savage School District 191 chess tournament on Dec. 19 at Metcalf Junior High. Don Picard coaches the team.
The William Byrne chess team, coached by Stan Kegel, placed second while the Sioux Trail team, coached by Mark Kleven, placed third.
The Metcalf Junior High team, coached by Brian Ribnick, won the secondary championship title.
The district elementary chess co-champions for 2015 are fifth grader Saketh Budideti and sixth grader Calvin York from Harriet Bishop Elementary School. Saketh also won the event last year.
Rounding out the top 10 at the Elementary level:
3. Mitchell Kellen, 3rd grader from Byrne
4. Caige Oxendale, 5th grader from Byrne
5. Sam Misukanis, 2nd grader from Rahn
6. Hadley Alt, 4th grader from Sky Oaks
7. Gavin Kellen, 5th grader from Byrne
8. Harrison Stage, 2nd grader from Byrne
9. Erik Gorton, 6th grader from Harriet Bishop
10. Gavin Allen-Wetterlin, 2nd grader from Harriet Bishop.
Top players for grade levels were:
5th grade award: Will Moe
4th grade award: Ben Woelfel
3rd grade award: Scott Froebe
2nd grade award: Sam Morgan
1st grade award: Alex Krumwiede.
Among the secondary section (grades 7-12), Ben Brekke, a 9th grader from Metcalf placed first. Rounding out the top five were:
2. Matthew Nguyen, 8th grader at Metcalf,
3. Zachary McDonald, 12th grader at Burnsville High School,
4. Matthew Helke, 11th grader at Burnsville High School, and
5. Jarett Mosoti, 8th grader at Metcalf.
Congratulations to everyone who particpiated!