Dear HB Families,
Harriet Bishop teachers participating in summer training focused on the needs of gifted & talented students.
I hope everyone is having a fantastic summer! I know many of you are not even thinking about school starting, but I wanted to update you on a few things going on at Harriet Bishop.
First, our teachers have spent lots of time learning this summer. Here’s a few highlights:
- In June we were excited to have GT Consultant Dr. Diane Heacox spend the day with classroom teachers focusing on meeting the needs of our GT students.
- This month, three teachers spent a week at a Math in Focus conference and seven teachers went to the Hamline Literacy Institute.
- Many teachers have been fine tuning our math scope and sequence, along with others who are now busy teaching summer school.
Their learning continues in August when some go to PBIS (Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports) and Literacy trainings. We have an amazing staff here at HB working hard for their students!
I’m very excited to let you know that we will be offering preschool at Harriet Bishop this fall. The preschool will be located in River Birch 1. Here’s some specific information for you, feel free to pass on to anyone you think might be interested:
Ready to Learn offers children ages 3-5 years old the opportunity to attend a full day early care and education program that supports their overall growth and development. Through a play based curriculum, Ready to Learn preschoolers develop self-regulation and self-help skills along with other important school readiness skills in the areas of social learning, literacy and math. One of the primary goals of Ready to Learn is to create a smooth and successful transition to the district's all day kindergarten program.
We offer a wide range of enrollment options that work for you and your family. Families may choose between 2 -5 full or half days. Hours are 7 am-5:30 pm. Ready to Learn is a fee based program. Fee assistance may be available for qualifying families. Please contact Lyndsay Griffin at 952-707-4146 for more information.
There are a couple opportunities at Harriet Bishop that I wanted to let you know about:
- Volunteer Coordinators - the PTO is looking for 2 people to be our Volunteer Coordinators. This is a great way to get involved with our school and help out. Please contact PTO President, Becky McGuire at firstname.lastname@example.org it you have questions or are interested in the positions.
- For the past four years we have had two Minnesota Reading Corp Tutors working with our students. Currently we have one tutor position open. This is a great opportunity for anyone wanting to work with children and bring in a little income. Please contact me or go to www.minnesotareadingcorps.com for more information.
Here are our upcoming events:
- Incoming K playdates continue to happen, here is that link:http://www.signupgenius.com/go/70a0d4faca729a64-kindergarten
- New Families Get Together on August 27th.
- Meet Your Teacher Open House on September 3rd.
I know it is still weeks away, but people are already talking about school supplies. Here is a link about an online option for ordering supplies, delivery usually takes about two weeks. http://www.isd191.org/isd191/news/201506/order-school-supplies-2015-16#.VaZd1qQViyw
Lastly, I want to say thank you to the amazing garden club, they’ve been working hard to update our landscape and it looks wonderful! A special thanks to Tien Cai for her expertise, leadership and hours of work.
Enjoy the rest of the summer!