The team from Harriet Bishop Elementary took the championship title in the annual elementary chess tournament in Burnsville- Eagan-Savage School District 191 on Dec. 20 at Metcalf Junior High. Runner up was William Byrne Elementary and the third-place trophy went to defending champion Rahn Elementary.
Top scorers for Harriet Bishop were Saketh Budideti, Calvin York, Carson Picard, and Yaha Khetiya, The team's head coaches are Don Picard and Jessica Perry.
"This was a gathering of the greatest young thinkers in District 191 and the air was filled with tension, fun and brainwaves," said Brian Ribnick, the district's elementary chess coordinator who organized the event.
He thanks State Rep. Will Morgan for presenting the awards.
Overall, the top ten elementary players were:
- Saketh Budideti of Harriet Bishop
- Adam Stadick of Rahn
- Tyler Haddorff of Sioux Trail
- Caige Oxendale of William Byrne
- Gavin Kellen of Byrne
- Laitin Renner of Hidden Valley
- Cooper Fitch of Gideon Pond
- Calvin York of Harriet Bishop
- Mitchell Kellen of William Byrne
- Carson Picard of Harriet Bishop
Top players for grade levels were:
- First grade and below: Harrison Stage of William Byrne
- Second grade award: Callen Oxendale, William Byrne
- Third grade award: Sameer Bhatia (charter school)
- Fourth grade award: Leo Christenson of Hidden Valley
- Fifth grade award: Jacob Westerlund of Sioux Trail
- Sixth grade award: Kadin Burkart of Rahn